Tuesday, April 14, 2009

indefinite cloud of future potentialities

I like coming into the lab when it's early in the morning or right around dusk.
No one's here. It's just you and your mortar and pestle listening to the hum of the fume hood and the crackle of CO2 as your reaction mixture bubbles. Your purple nitrile gloved hands keep grinding as your mixture goes from soup to chalky to brownie to whipped cream (highly scientific terms I came up with myself). The light from the setting sun streams through the west facing windows, glancing off the lake, mountains, and black rooftop below, while the blinking lights of the instruments bring your attention back to the room. The odor of ammonia hangs faintly in the air, and all I'm thinking is how cool is this? I can observe nature while learning about the building blocks that make it all possible.

And that's why I love chemistry.

1 comment:

Josh said...

Sweet. I'm the first. Finally!

Ms. Katie.... you're hilarious! So cute and smart, and at the same time too.

However, I've decided this: no matter what field of study you choose, no matter where you decide to venture in life, you will leave footprints. You will leave a mark that sings of a girl named Katie Andrus.