Monday, May 4, 2009

gah.

Heyyyyy everybody!

I'm currently in the lovely capital of Indiana. This is the first time I've been back since my family moved away when I was eight. Unfortunately I won't be going anywhere near where I used to live, but returning to the state and all is pretty cool anyway.
Yesterday we went to Nauvoo, which I apparently do not remember at all because it seemed totally different when I was there 12 years ago. It was really neat though. I got my Nauvoo brick and horseshoe nail ring through a series of miraculous happenstances and a little bit of sinning. Fact: the tour the Community of Christ Church does run a little long. Fact: All the Mormon attractions (everything that gives you free things like aforementioned rings and bricks) close at 5:00. Fact: The COC red brick store (where bricks are sold for $2.50) stays open until 6:00. Something that may or may not be true: Elisha bought me a brick and some rootbeer from the store...on a Sunday...so I wouldn't have to "break the Sabbath" (ha, right, I know that doesn't work) :S
Fact: All I wanted from Nauvoo was a stupid brick, and dang it, I sure got one.

It's been interesting seeing all of these church history sites. As we visited Carthage Jail today, I was thinking that it sort of feels like we're chasing Joseph Smith's ghost. We're tracing our way through all of these places where he lived and stayed and died and yet it doesn't quite seem real to me. I can't wrap my head around the fact that I was staring at the floor upon which he stood or that I was standing in the room he was shot.
It's disappointing really. I think I need an attitude adjustment. I'm letting all of these amazing sites (sights?) and places pass me by...So many people would kill to be where I am, and I'm taking it for granted...

I can't help it.
Confession: I want to be home.

5 comments:

Laura C said...

Haha...you sinner! Just kidding:). The brick and horseshoe ring ("prairie diamond") are totally worth it:).

Kellie Rachelle said...

Katie you can't think about home so much when you're in those places. Trust me, push it out of your mind as much as you can during those times and soak everything about where you are in. We will always be here, but who knows when you'll be back to those places. Enjoy it so you won't wish you had later on! Miss you though... kinda wish we could hang out. like every day!

Josh said...

Katie, Katie, Katie... what are we gonna do? :j Laura nailed it! That's what the rings are called, "prairie diamonds." I always managed to lose mine as a kid. Course, as a boy most of your friends just looked at you weird when you told them the story.... I guess wearing rings was not "SO GOOD" as a kid. =S

Diane said...

we have one of those bricks somewhere.....or at least we used to. The rootbeer and brick purchase isn't sinning. The ox was in the mire! love ya kate and we miss you alot.

Unknown said...

Hey I felt the same way you feel about the sacred sites during the ballroom concert, we CAN'T take such privileges for granted and be jaded! Enjoy the rest of tour! :)