Sunday, May 17, 2009

anything can happen before sunrise

It's official.
New York City has secured its spot as my second favorite city in the US. We'll find out in about four days if DC will return to claim its place as number one. Woot!

Yesterday was our free day in the city. I spent it seeing "In the Heights" (beyond fabulous hiphop, latin, rap, salsa broadway musical), randomly popping into Tony Meredith and Melanie Lepatin's dance studio, eating Mexican and Thai food, perusing the Met for three hours (favorite piece: a real shark in a blue tank of formaldehyde entitled, "The physical impossibility of death in the mind of someone living" hahahahaha), showing up at Times Square repeatedly, watching two people in our group dance their way out of a $100 fine in the subway, getting another $8 worth of stamps (ridiculous, I know, but I bought a postcard and was out of stamps...), and missing the train and wandering around East Orange, New Jersey at 1:00 AM...

Notice the complete lack of shopping. I was so proud of myself, I went shopping on Friday for a few hours and managed to get my cheap purse, new shirt, and some H&M jewelry so Saturday was completely open for adventures not in retail.


It was ridiculously awesome. I love cities. I was meant to live in a $1500/month apartment in Manhattan, I swear.

Last stops: Philadelphia and DC :)
Only 5 days left until I'm back home!

11 comments:

Jen said...

so now the question is who danced and why?

Diane said...

so how did you get back to your hotel at 1:00 am????? great adventures...i want the story of the subway fine. yes, it's a great city....i want to go back someday. looking forward to you coming home and yes i know these are incomplete sentences so don't correct my grammer..(sic)

amanda said...

Ohh man, that sounds so fun!!

Hey so, you should email me your thoughts on new york...did you just ride the subway all day? Who were you with? that sounds so fun!! I can't wait to go. You'll have to tell me some of your favorite spots (okay, I know I sound stupid, and I did just read your blog). But...I request (on your busy schedule...ya, I'm cool) some more details.

Philadelphia is my top US city, as it's the only one i've really been to. I LOVED it.


And DC, in my mind and all I've read...I love it. haha, also going there later this summer :)

Have so much fuN! Love you!

Unknown said...

happy for you, but also envy :P

Laura C said...

East Orange at 1AM huh? Sounds sketchy...haha. You should have Natalie tell you some of her East Orange stories...she and her family were member missionaries in that area for like 6 years.

And it's official. I'm going to New York. Soon.

also, wish I could be there to help welcome you home!! :(

Josh said...

I agree with Jen. I want to hear more about this "dancing" out of fines. Sounds like a story worthy of any blog.

Kellie Rachelle said...

I think I was meant to be your roommate in the $1500/month apartment in Manhattan. I love it there too :)

Tedi @ Running with Infertility said...

Man! If only I had known you were going to NYC I would have told you a great place to go to! Near Time Square too. It's called Zen Palate! SOOOOOOO great! It's seriously the best place EVER!!! Glad you had fun!

Unknown said...

You weren't the only one wandering New Jersey at 1AM that night. Props to New York!

Unknown said...

Wait wait wait. If you see this, I must know. Are you still by chance in New York City?

Garrett said...

Okay, since nobody's told the story yet, here goes:

I am one of the two who danced out of the fine. One of our guys had a day pass on the metro that wasn't working, so I swiped him in on my card, not knowing that I wouldn't be able to use it again for another 15 minutes or so.

When I couldn't get in, one of the girls offered to let me go through the turnstile with her, so we crammed our way through while the cops stood there and shook their heads at the whole thing. (We were so ignorant and so cute, the little country kids in the city for the first time!, they must have been thinking.)

They took our ID cards and started to write stuff down while we tried to justify ourselves, unsuccessfully. When we got to the part in the explaining that involved being on a ballroom dance tour, the female cop's eyes got big.

"Ballroom dancing, as in Dancing With The Stars ballroom dancing?"

"Yes," we sheepishly confirmed.

"I'll let you off the hook this once if you dance for me right now."

I took off my glasses, the girl handed her bag to someone, and we danced about 15 seconds of the most flashy, extreme, poor-technique-filled Cha Cha that New York has ever seen.

The cops were laughing, tore up the ticket, and we took off in a flash, praying that they not change their mind.