Sunday, March 18, 2012

the human eye is most sensitive to green light

This weekend was pretty great. It's the recruitment weekend for the chemistry department, and I got to participate in a student panel answering questions about the department, grad school in general, and life in Philly, plus help with a poster session talking to prospective students about my research. I clearly remember what it was like visiting last year, and it's fun to see the students visiting this year. In fact, it was this weekend that sold me on Penn, so it's fun to kind of relive that memory.

After the poster session I met up with Aaron and some of his med school friends. Apparently St. Patrick's Day is a huge deal anywhere people actually drink (i.e. anywhere outside of Utah). I felt kind of dumb for only wearing green socks that no one could see when everyone around me was dressed in tacky green t-shirts and short shorts (and Ugg boots, gross). Living in Philly is a pretty big eye opener for how much of mainstream American culture I just don't get. Oh well, I've got at least 7 years in the city to figure it out.

Hope your holiday weekend's been lovely, too!

2 comments:

Naomi Martineau said...

my high school calculus teacher would always grade our tests in green pen rather than red because he could see green better. not that that had anything to do with your post, but that's what I thought of when I read your title. Glad you had a fun weekend!

M said...

Ugg boots are the worst. That's all I have to add.