Tuesday, April 17, 2012

don't work. be hated. love someone.

I have a feeling that in a couple years anyone who posts a status update about graduating will really get on my nerves. (I am not graduating until at least 2016. Let that sink in.) But since I'm still a bright-eyed and naive first year grad student, I'm happy for you!* In fact, I'm even linking to this convocation talk that's been all over my facebook today:

"What you should prepare for is mess. Life’s a mess. You are not entitled to expect anything from it. Life is not fair. Everything does not balance out in the end. Life happens, and you have no control over it. Good and bad things happen to you day by day, hour by hour, moment by moment. Your degree is a poor armour against fate.
....
Finally, you will find that there is no half-measure when it comes to loving someone. You either don’t, or you do with every cell in your body, completely and utterly, without reservation or apology. It consumes you, and you are reborn, all the better for it."

The first paragraph resonates a little too true, and the second is just pretty. 

Congrats grads!

*I am not happy for everyone who keeps saying they are done with finals because mine don't finish until May 3rd. My happiness for others' successes only goes so far.