Friday, July 10, 2009

The fog comes on little cat feet.

Greetings from San Fran!
It's the first time I've been back here since I was ten (? maybe?), staying with my aunt and uncle in their truly lovely home.

Highlights of the trip so far include:

tour of Genentech, many thanks to Uncle Al who's a patent attorney there-
ohmygosh, if I were to be a biochemist (or change my major to biochemistry...have been playing around with that idea lately...), this would probably be my dream job. Great facilities, huge company, awesome atmosphere, fabulous cafeteria (very important when selecting a job). Becky pretty much summed up that experience, "This is like Disneyland for Katie." Wooo!!!!

Muir Woods-
beautiful, awe-inspiring redwood forest. It was absolutely incredible. I'd rank it up there with Niagara Falls as random-outdoors-place-that-I-thought-would-be-way-overrated-but-surpasses-all-the-hype.

Fisherman's Wharf and Ghirardelli Square-
fun shopping, quaint atmosphere (at least the square was), and I ate a chocolate cupcake with coconut cream cheese icing (felt very Rockstar Diaries-esque).

We also drove past the "Full House" house, took photos of the cute Victorian houses, drove on Haight and Ashbury, shopped at Nordstorm Rack, went to the Academy of Science, Bay cruise, and walked on the Golden Gate Bridge.

This summer I've really been blessed to travel and see all kinds of fascinating places, whether it was Jared's mansion cabin in Island Park, Washington, DC, Burbank with friends, Philadelphia, the Sacred Grove, New York City, Boston, Indianapolis, Kirtland, Nauvoo, Independence, etc. And it doesn't end there. We'll be headed back to Burbank next week, I'm doing a roadtrip to Cedar City with some friends the weekend I get back, might possibly be going to Vegas, and will be going to Irvine, CA...all before school starts.
I may not have gotten to go to Europe this summer, but I feel really grateful for the opportunities I've had to travel throughout the country, literally coast to coast.

6 comments:

kyliebrooke|s said...

i love traveling, too, katie. and i love san fran! have so much fun!

Laura C said...

Wow..lots of cool places. Lots of California too:). Who all is going back to Burbank? Your family?

Mandy Owens said...

hey Katie remember me??? It's been way to long since we've done anything together! Mostly my fault I'll admit I'm always too busy but hopefully that's changing :) Biochemistry sounds like a ton of fun I would seriously consider that! I'm glad you're having a blast California is a very entertaining place!

Josh said...

And I might add that you will have been away from your boyfriend for nearly half the summer 7 weeks 5 days to be exact... : (

amanda said...

that sounds so fun! I'm glad you're having fun and got to see so much this summer!!

Anonymous said...

It was so much fun to have you here in SF and share the city we love with people we love! There's still lots more to see of SF. Come back and bring your friends ... anytime. Don't forget to fill us in on your dance schedule in LA. Alex and I will try to be there.