Tuesday, August 17, 2010

il faut avancer

One eternal afternoon* later, and I was home.

I'm torn. I am so, so glad to be home. I'm so happy to be back with Aaron. And I am so happy to start throwing myself into rehearsals and working in the lab and planning my school schedule and figuring out my life and everything else.

But I miss France. I miss hearing French everywhere and reading signs in French. I miss saying "Bonjour!" and "Au revoir!" when I enter and exit stores, elevators, buses. I miss eating jambon/emmental/beurre baguette sandwiches. I miss walking around the centre ville. I miss the metro. I miss the Mediterranean Sea. I miss weekend train trips. I miss the taste of French on my tongue and pastries in my mouth.

To everything there is a season I guess. My season in France is over. Must keep pedaling the bicycle forward or I shall lose my balance, a la Einstein:

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving."

Keep moving keep moving keep moving.
Can't help it; mostly I just want to sleep.

*okay, 11 hours if we're going to not exaggerate.

4 comments:

kyliebrooke|s said...

welcome home, katie! and i get homesick for london still...don't try to fight it...

amanda said...

I'm sorry...I miss dc too! Not quite as cool as France but...welcome home! Can't wait to see you!

Ashlan Belliston said...

You'll never really get over the homesickness for your foreign country. ;) Haha. I can't wait to go back to Ireland and show Steve around my "2nd home." And I'm sure you'll always feel the same way about your summer in France.

I'm glad you're home! Welcome back.

Kellie Rachelle said...

Yeah I agree with Kylie. Don't fight the sadness, or you lose the reasons why you love that place, even though you have to suffer through some bittersweet feelings. So glad you're home though!