Monday, August 3, 2009

"Did you give an angry Cuban my home number?"

Well...I was going to post about the Shakespeare Festival, but it's been too long and Jody wrote up a lovely post detailing all of our adventures including, but not limited to, dance parties broken up by sketchy 40 year old men in church parking lots, fun with glue sticks, late night ice cream runs, fake crushes on actors, and fabulous plays. Read all about it here.

In other news...

I forgot how much I love "House" until Josh and I started watching it again, and wow, I love "House". I was so incredibly upset when everyone quit/got fired, and now I can't wait for Chase and Foreman and Cameron to be back (we just started season four). And can I just say that I absolutely love House and Wilson's relationship? And also that I love Wilson? I am almost inspired to be a doctor....almost...except for the whole needles, blood, death, trauma, an excessive amount of schooling, etc. I think I'll stick to chemistry.

Also, all of a sudden I'm very curious about what's going on when I'm at the dentist (got a cavity filled today). What exactly is that big gun thing they stick in your mouth after you've gotten a cavity filled? I'm sure it's supposed to dry/set/whatever the cavity filler, but by what means? What does it do? And what exactly is it in the molding that makes it go from pink to white when it dries? What chemical is that? And how exactly does anesthesia work? How do the chemicals knock out your nerves? And why does your lip feel fat and your face swollen? Anyone secretly a dental hygienist or in dental school who can satisfy my curiosity?

And another thing, after reading this post (thanks Bob!), I am re-inspired to make goals. I found the paper on which I'd written down my goals from last fall (or maybe end of fall semester?), and it turns out I did pretty well. No US national semi-final for ballroom this year, but we were the next couple in for amateur standard. And I pretty much did awful with my financial goals, but I didn't actually try on those ones...anyway, classes start in less than a month, I'm moving into a new apartment (same complex, different building), and I think it would be smart to use this time of change to make new goals for the next year. What those will be I have not yet decided. I'll post something later this week.

Last thing: can we please please please know which numbers we're in next year for team? I'm dying to know if I got any of my requested numbers, and we were supposed to get an email last week telling us and I've been checking my email every few hours just in case it got sent and waiting is making me type sentences with far too many clauses and not enough commas...

Happy Monday everyone :)

3 comments:

Jody Lynn said...

i totally failed to mention our fake crushes at the shakespeare festival. you should take credit for that...

amanda said...

like the post.

I do know that drugs like that block pain receptors, so even when your body is sending pain signals, the other side doesn't receive them. Not sure why it swells up...probably because it deadens nerves/brings blood to the scene

I LOVE HOUSE SO OOOO MUCH

Josh said...

Fake crushes hmmmmm? *Cue raised eye-brow*

Anyway, I must concur with the House fetish. I am totally loving this. Though I must say that... seven episodes in one day kind of did me in for a bit. =S My brain has been diagnosing junk all over the place! I went to work today and started analyzing my boss when he sneezed for crying out loud!!! House is getting in my HEAD!!!

.... But I still love it...

Alright, let me see what I can answer from my memory concerning all your other questions:
Anesthesia is a broad subject that covers more than just a quick answer. There are several different methods and types. But since I'm sure you're looking for the Chem of it all this is the little bit that I remember: your nerves send signals/impulses to your brain that your brain computes to equate pain. I know that these impulses are blocked by binding to the anesthesia or inhibiting in some other way their travel. I think it has something to do with sodium. Can't remember.

That's what I remember about that. As for the swollen lip stuff I'm almost positive it's the brain's way of interpreting the fact that you can't feel that section of your face. At least for the first bit...

As for that "gun thing" I know that it involves different light, possibly ultraviolet or infrared? My orthodontist told me something along the lines of using the light to heat up the compound in the goo that causes it to react and solidify.

And the last thing: PLEASE can we know what dances you're in! You're insatiable hunger to find out is killing me! ;)