Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Check yes Juliet

“You may not like what comes from the authority of the Church. It may conflict with your political views. It may contradict your social views. It may interfere with some of your social life … Your safety and ours depends upon whether or not we follow … Let’s keep our eye on the President of the Church.”

-President Harold B. Lee

"Sometimes there are those who feel their earthly knowledge on a certain subject is superior to the heavenly knowledge which God gives to his prophet on the same subject. They feel the prophet must have the same earthly credentials or training which they have had before they will accept anything the prophet has to say that might contradict their earthly schooling. How much earthly schooling did Joseph Smith have? Yet he gave revelations on all kinds of subjects. We haven’t yet had a prophet who earned a doctorate degree in any subject. We encourage earthly knowledge in many areas, but remember if there is ever a conflict between earthly knowledge and the words of the prophet, you stand with the prophet and you’ll be blessed and time will show you have done the right thing."

-President Ezra Taft Benson

“I say to Israel, the Lord will never permit me or any other man who stands as president of the Church to lead you astray. It is not in the program. It is not in the mind of God.”

-President Wilford Woodruff

Good thoughts, n'est-ce pas?
So when a prophet of God tells us to do all we can to get Proposition 8 to pass in California, it'd probably be a good idea to comply. I really think it's ridiculous that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints would make a petition and send it to the first presidency informing them of their opposition to Proposition 8. Did you or did you not sustain President Thomas S. Monson as a prophet, seer, and revelator a few weeks ago? So why are you blatantly disregarding his council? I'm not saying that we should blindly follow our church leaders, but it really says something to me when the church gets this heavily involved in political matters. It's because this isn't about politics anymore. Should Proposition 8 be defeated the decline of the family as we know it will greatly increase.

There's less than a week left until election day. With whom will you side?

3 comments:

amanda said...

EXCELLENT POST!! I've seen the first quote in my religion class...AND I almost labeled my video about prop 8 check yes juliet. :)

Jody Lynn said...

Great post! I love posts that make me think. I can always count on them from either you or Amanda. Great quotes too!

Love you!

Tedi @ Running with Infertility said...

Oh my gosh Katie! This is exactly what I needed to hear today! That quote you gave is amazing! I know this is sorta on subject but I felt like with the whole proposition 8, that we have done all we can to help get the word across, and now we have to let God do the rest, like you said in your previous post. Thanks Katie!