Monday, February 9, 2009

It is not enough to be busy. So are the ants. The question is: What are we busy about?

I feel like I should post something peppy because most of my posts for like the past two-ish weeks have been either whiney or depressing, so...let me leave you with this thought:

I was sitting in ward council meeting this Sunday, and we were discussing various concerns in the ward and what we can do better and everything and you know what, there are a lot of things that I personally can do better. I'm always trying to get an A in classes and win ballroom competitions and everything, but I'm feeling a little pricking in my heart to become something better. After all, how will I measure myself when there are no more grades to earn and no more trophies to win? I've been thinking about school and how I absolutely do not want to do this this way for another 3+ years, and I decided I need to change my attitude. I need to stop doing homework and reading textbooks and going to study sessions and lectures and whatnot just to get by. I can do more than that. I can learn the material for better reasons than to ace classes and get into a good grad school.
I want to learn so that I am more qualified and better prepared to serve in whatever capacity God places me in my life. There is so much knowledge to be gained out there! I have so many opportunities to learn and grow here, and I always say how "grateful" I am for that, but it's been a little hollow lately. So starting now (I'm going to go do homework as soon as I hit publish) I, [would insert full name here, but let's not forget our internet safety! hehe :)] pledge to be a student who cares enough to actively participate in the learning process. I pledge to learn not only for my own good, but in order to be the most useful I can in the kingdom of God.

How's that for lofty?
Now go read your textbooks or something. :P

3 comments:

Lancealot22 said...

Sounds like you are figuring out which balls are glass and which are rubber. Good luck with this goal Katya- you can do it... let me know if I can help:)

kyliebrooke|s said...

katie, your posts are always so insightful!

Anonymous said...

Haha. You have certainly inspired me!