Monday, January 12, 2009

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening...

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

In about a week or so, that is how I'll be feeling. The semester has just started, school is getting crazy, ballroom's getting more intense, my job is getting more demanding...and it's only the beginning. I have miles to go before I sleep, before I can rest for the summer and run around in a swimsuit all day and go boating, plan California vacations, work in the lab as much as I want, read novels for fun until 3 AM, lay out on my trampoline, see the SA girls all the time...it feels ages away.
For now I'll have to enjoy running around in boots and scarves, planning homework/work/class/dance schedules, working in the lab whenever I have a spare hour, reading textbooks until 3 AM, laying out on my bed at noon already exhausted, seeing my classmates as burned out as I am.

But I'm not quite there yet. I can still stay awake in class, I'm still caught up on my chemistry reading, I've been in the lab, I got my four practice times in last week, and I've been going to bed before 12:30 most nights. It's been good. O chem is the same as last semester, but I'm more committed to getting an A this time around. O chem lab scares me to death, but I'm with my chem major friends, so I can deal with it. Physics is also fun of chem majors and my teacher is really quite entertaining so I'm hoping to overcome my initial hatred of it. French looks like it'll be difficult (advanced composition in English would be hard for me, let alone in another language all together), but it makes me happy to speak, think, hear, and read French consistently. My New Testament class should be great. Dance is dance, and I love it, but I think I'm really going to be sick of another semester of gold II. Sorry. Another resolution: actually try in that class. On the other hand, team feels like home, and despite all of my groanings about early practices, I adore it.

Hurray for another semester. I really do love being a student. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I wasn't. Good luck to all of you and your classes.

One final note: I got a new calling as one of the family home evening group leaders. If anyone has any great FHE activity ideas...let me know! :)

4 comments:

kyliebrooke|s said...

good luck katie! oh, i'm an fhe mom, too. bleh. let ME know if you have good ideas.

Jody Lynn said...

Make italian soda's. We did that last night for FHE. It was fun and really yummy. :)

But I love you, Katie! You can do this.

Suzy said...

katya, if anyone can do it, you can. You're amazing and that's all there is to it. Way to be girl

Diane said...

You know you are totally amazing right?!!!!!