Tuesday, January 15, 2019

2019: so far, so good

Some fun things I've been into lately:

Next time you need chocolate frosting, this is your recipe. It's rich and chocolatey without being overly sweet. It also pipes like a dream and makes enough to frost ~30 cupcakes.

16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (this is not a health food)
3/4 cup (3 oz) powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 1/2 oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup light corn syrup
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (I ran out and didn't use any-still delicious!)
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled (I used semisweet since it's what I had on hand)

In a food processor, combine butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the corn syrup and vanilla and process until combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Add chocolate and pulse until creamy, 10 to 15 seconds. Frost!! Can be stored in the fridge if you're making it in advance (just pull it out about an hour before you want to use it so it will spread easily).

These Neapolitan butter cookies are fun and delicious. They look pretty, and the striped effect is easy; all you have to do is smoosh the dough in a loaf pan in three layers. No rolling pin required.

Have you seen A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix? We just finished it, and it's great! I loved it. I'm also very into the song at the end of the season, which also made me miss Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (this song!!!! so powerful).

Worth being on Twitter for this Cats thread (the musical, not like the animal in general)

Also liking: Shallow by Lady Gaga and whats-his-name and this related article! Makes me want to respond with that howl to pretty much everything.

The first three books I've read in 2019 are GOOD. The Carpet Makers by Andreas Eschbach (sci-fi, almost a collection of short stories as tightly woven as the human hair used to make the titled carpets), Becoming by Michelle Obama (she's such an impressive woman, loved reading about her life), and Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik (I decided you have to read this in winter curled up with a giant blanket, it's sort of a retelling of Rumpelstiltskin set in Russia/Eastern Europe with a similar vibe to The Bear and the Nightingale, which I also loved).

NEW MUSE ALBUM. ETA: this song from it is my current favorite. I love the guitar solo; I call it mournful Beach Boys in space, and it's so lovely. Next month I'm going to their concert for my birthday, and I can't wait!!!! Walk the Moon is opening for them, and I'm also excited about that!!!!

That's all I had to say! 2019, off to a great start.

No comments: