Sunday, August 19, 2018

more unsolicited opinions, as usual

Hi! I live in North Carolina now, and so far am doing a good job of assimilating into suburban life if I do say so myself. Not that it's hard, because I'm defining this as I drive everywhere now and go to Target like twice a week and buy things from drive-throughs.

Some random thoughts, a strangely high proportion of which are about pants:

New Muse song! I can't decide if I love it or not, but I do keep listening to it, and it's catchy.

NO MORE ANKLE PANTS. Why are all the pants ankle length these days? I had to buy a bunch of new professional clothes for my new professional job, and they're all a little too cropped. I can't have any skin showing below my waist in lab, and I'm sick of wearing socks with ankle pants. I have not found a way to make this look cute. (You know your life is pretty great when this is a major problem.)

It is really hot and humid here, and I have given up on wearing skinny jeans. In fact, I don't wear any jeans at all these days except for one pair of "girlfriend" jeans from Gap. All I want to wear are wrinkle-prone linen pants from Uniqlo (let us all shed a tear that Uniqlo has no locations within 200 miles of here-I did not take nearly enough advantage of its proximity while living in Philly). 

"Crazy Rich Asians" was kind of a dumb book but a delightful and visually gorgeous movie, and I'm so glad that I went and saw it this weekend. I also watched "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" on Netflix, and it was a treat. Highly recommend them both.

Two not dumb books I read recently: Educated by Tara Westover and And Now We Have Everything by Meaghan O'Connell. The former was both horrifying and inspiring and the latter both made me want to have a baby and never have a baby. I'm curious what people who have had kids thought of that one (it felt like a no-holds-barred peek behind the mysterious curtain of motherhood to my uninitiated self).

Summer vegetable soups are currently my jam. I really liked this one:
Instant Pot Summer Soup (which I made on the stovetop, replacing the chicken with a can of white beans)
and this one:
Vegetable Soup with Basil Pistou (I did not make the basil pistou, and it was still great)
Unfortunately, Aaron declared himself "not a fan of soup" today, so I guess you can take these recommendations with a grain of salt. (literally? ha.)

Welp, I think that's it. Can you tell I don't have a lot of friends to talk to in person about all these things? Yay moving!

No comments: